You may not be parched, tanning on Bondi, or hungover, but like any good relationship, sometimes you need to take care of your body without it having to tell you.
Ten Reasons to Stay Hydrated
1. Prone to daytime fatigue? Instead of reaching for that fourth cup of coffee, try drinking more water. Sometimes a few glasses of H20 is all it takes to kick yourself awake.
2. Dehydration is the #1 cause of headaches. Forget Panadol – remove the problem before it becomes a problem.
3. Keeping well hydrated will improve your mood. Keep a water bottle in your bag or on your desk at work to remind yourself to keep drinking.
4. Hydration also improves brain function and cognitive performance.
5. When exercising, being properly hydrated improves physical endurance, lowers the maximum heart rate and prevents muscle fatigue.
6. It’s common for our bodies to confuse dehydration with hunger. Next time you feel a little empty, have some water instead of reaching for those Tim Tams.
7. Staying hydrated also aids weight loss. If you feel yuck drinking tap water, invest in a good water filter.
8. Drinking water can prevent diseases. Studies show that staying hydrated may protect against kidney stones, constipation, asthma, urinary tract infections, coronary heart disease and even some cancers.
9. Who needs make up when you have water! Hydration = glowing, healthy skin.
10. Last but not least, water is free!
Does it Have to be Water?
Contrary to popular belief, your daily intake of water doesn’t have to come from a tap or water bottle. Fruits such as watermelon, oranges, grapefruit and melons are excellent sources of water. Coffee and tea are also hydrating, although caffeine, sugar and any other added ingredients could make it a less healthy option. Milk, sodas, juices and sports drinks are also hydrating – but again, watch out for those extra ingredients.
Are You Dehydrated?There are many ways to check if you’re getting enough water. Here are some tell-tale signs of dehydration:
• Little or no urine
• Urine that is a darker colour than usual
• Dry mouth
• Sleepiness or fatigue
• Dizziness or feeling lightheaded
• No tears when crying
So, to risk sounding like your mother… Drink your water! Take advantage of the water cooler at work to improve your water cooler chat. If you don’t like the taste of plain water, throw in a lemon or a lime to spice up your routine.
If you’re looking for water dispensers or water filters in Australia, you can shop for water filters online to save yourself the time and hassle – it’s too cold to go outside anyway. Take care of your body from your bed. You can stay cozy, just remember to stay hydrated too.